Saturday, August 27, 2011

and now a vacation to Florida is needed!!

As many of you know...a great friend of everyone, Denisha Sanders BONDS moved to Florida this past week. While we are going to miss her...we all are so happy for her and her husband and wish them well. I just wanted to write a little about her on this blog (hoping she does not mind!).

I first met Denisha through Dave Crow on a quest to recharter the chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota Womens Fraternity at UNCP. Dave Crow knew her and knew she was already a sister and would be willing to help! As a faculty member of UNCP she was able to our advisor and help us get everything going! The first time I met her was in October right around Halloween. She was the Director of Career Services and the entire career services office was decorated for Halloween and she was dressed up like a witch with this long black wig on. Too funny! Way to go Dave! From then on I was in Denisha's office all the time trying to get everything going to SAI. It was a LONG process and a LOT of work! I would like to just point out how much extra work it was that Denisha certainly did not have to do but I am very grateful for her hard work and dedication.

When it finally came time for the pinning ceremony to begin our mit process (about a year and half later from the beginning) Denisha was staying until 9 and 10 at night while living in Fayetteville to train us. Finally in April we became a chapter. Denisha was not only our advisor but our big sister to all of us! She is certainly a woman that we all looked up too and admired and still do. I knew it was a lot of work but did not know how much until I myself did the same thing for the Lambda Xi chapter at South Carolina State University while I was going to USC for grad school.

Denisha not has only helped with SAI but with finding a job and just being there for everyone. She is a strong person in everything she does and has always been there for everyone!

I told her I would write a blog about the gift I gave her before she moved this past week. I gave her a set of tuned wind chimes. Why did I give her a set of tuned wind chimes? It is not just a random gift. Ashley O'Regan my little sister in SAI gave me a set of tuned wind chimes that I absolutely LOVE! So...I figured I needed to give my big sister a set as well. We have also always had some set of wind chimes at my parents house my entire life. The most recent set is this HUGE low tuned set that is amazing and reminds you of church bells. I hope Denisha and Scott will come to love these wind chimes and when they blow to play music it will remind her of North Carolina and how she always has a home here!


No comments:

Post a Comment